Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Bernd Helmle
Subject Re: BUG #5488: pg_dump does not quote column names -> pg_restore may fail when upgrading
Date
List pgsql-bugs
--On 4. Juni 2010 15:19:42 -0400 Bruce Momjian <bruce@momjian.us> wrote:

> That would make the bug go away,
> rather than require users to use a special flag (and find out only after
> they were doing the reload).

Out of curiosity, why is this a "bug" now? We recommend migration
procedures always to use the pg_dump of the newer version because of many
reasons as clearly stated here:

        <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.4/interactive/migration.html>

And wouldn't introducing backpatching such behavorial changes to pg_dump
violate our policy in *not* to change such things in minor releases? (think
of diff's against schema-only dumps and so on....).

        Bernd